Back to School we go...




School starts back next week Monday!! Wooo hooo!!! (Can you sense my sarcasm? ;) I'm not too fond of the fact that school starts back so soon here in Hawaii. Sure I can be happy about the fact that I'll be more sane during the days since 2 out of 3 munchkins will be away at school but honestly I don't mind having the little buggers around. ;) They do funny, silly stuff that makes me laugh whether they're getting into trouble or not.


It seems like just yesterday when I was faced with having to take my first born to school for the first time. I was super nervous, excited for lil man but was bummed out because at the time hubby was away in Iraq. On top of that Munchkin # 1 was going to school in NY where I was staying with family while hubby was away. I didn't really feel at home because "my" home was back in Cali. I tried my best to hide my sadness in hopes that lil man wouldn’t feel or mimic my feelings.

He was super excited to get school supplies, a back pack, lunch box and a uniform. What I didn't realize at the time was that for him, going to school meant that mommy wasn't going to be around for a few hours. I didn't talk to him in detail about that because I assumed he "got it." In hindsight I wish I had explained that to him and let him know that it was ok and actually a good thing to be able to meet other kids and learn fun, new stuff.

So off we went to his school. We got him settled in his class and just as I was about to leave he grabs on for dear life to my leg with his little brother in my hand and wouldn't let go. I tried my best to explain to him that I'd be back in a little while but he got so overwhelmed and so nervous that he threw up all over himself. I was mortified and felt like the worst mom in the world. I had to fight back tears because I felt so bad. I was an emotional wreck.

I kept thinking that I should've prepped him better, I should've explained it better, I should've...

Luckily the principal helped us out and explained that it's normal for kids to do that. I still felt horrible about it and I definitely hated having to leave him there so I hung around for a bit and made sure I was on time to pick him up. When I picked him up he was so excited to see me but was all talks about what he got to do at school.

It took him about a week to really grasp the concept that I had to leave him there every day, he kept thinking that I should sit in the back and watch him. I didn't want him to feel like I was abandoning him so I stayed as long as I could each day. Eventually he was ok and he excelled and loved school.

Munchkin # 2 was a whole different story. I thought it would’ve been easier since he was going to be in the same school with his older brother so I assumed he'd adjust better but noooo. Munchkin # 2 is a HUGE mama's boy. His first day of school was a little rough. I prepped him ahead of time and his older brother even tried to prep him for it but it went in one ear and out the other. When the time came for me to leave him he cried bloody murder. I felt bad about it but I knew he'd be ok especially since his older brother was with him.

When I picked them up I asked the teacher how he was and she said it took him a while to calm down but he was fine. Well… he cried bloody murder for about a month straight and sporadically throughout the school year. We were truly blessed with an amazing teacher who was extremely patient and was so sweet to him that she managed to deal with his crying and actually got to teach every day.

I can't help but to think of how # 3 will react with his first day. I know I'll still be an emotional wreck no matter what but so far he's a HUGE mama's boy so I'm prepping for him to cry bloody murder like his brother, lol. We'll see...



I'm wishing everyone in bloggy world a great and smooth transition with starting or getting ready to go back to school.

Happy Friday everyone! Many blessings to ya and have a lovely weekend! :)

Comments

Popular Posts